This month’s Team Experience Top 10 is a two-parter that’s especially dear to my heart: it being October and all, we’ve all submitted our top 10 horror movies made before and after The Exorcist in December, 1973 (a cutoff point I argued against, but you can’t fight city hall). The first list is the classics, and considering the time span involved and the wide range of styles available, I think the consensus list is as strong as it could be, though I would happily quibble with the rankings.
Meanwhile, my own ballot – and I think I should mention that political considerations were not totally absent this time around, as I had a damned hard time assembling what I’m sure regular readers will appreciate was an especially daunting list for me of all people to commit to in public.
1. Cat People (1942) [on the TFE list]
2. The Haunting (1963) [on the TFE list]
3. Night of the Living Dead (1968) [on the TFE list]
4. Vampyr (1932) [on the TFE list]
5. The Wicker Man (1973)
6. Nosferatu (1922) [on the TFE list]
7. Black Sunday (1960)
8. Don’t Look Now (1973) [on the TFE list]
9. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
10. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)